Jun 17, 2015

Rolling through Russia - introduction





OK, so semester at KNU is over and it's time to get back home. But not to make it boring I decided not to take the plane, but travel my way home through whole Russia.

The concept of traveling around Russia was born quite some time ago, a year ago or so. In the meantime of course the ideas were changing hundreds of times as usual. But when I found out I was going to South Korea for a semester, everything started making sense.

So before going to Korea I already knew I was gonna come back through Russia. I researched all the information about the visa, ordered the voucher for the visa, but then it turned out, I cannot get a visa this much time in advance, so I had to do it in Korea, and so I did few weeks ago.

I didn't share my plans with almost anyone (I did after consuming some alcohol of course). I never do that until very late, I don't like to share my plans for several reasons. Firstly because when people hear some, let's say 'unusual' plans they will make you doubt if it all makes sense, they will question everything and then you start questioning the ideas too, and since for me it's already super hard to make any decisions I don't need anyone else to question my plans. Second reason - I've read once that sharing your plans actually decreases chances of making them - by sharing your 'big' plans you already get some sense of achievement, later you just need to find an excuse, which is the easiest thing in he world. And third, I hate being that person that always talks and then does nothing, I have tons of plans and ideas in my head, and if I would talk about them all, it would be ridiculous.

For example I had an idea of doing an Ironman triathlon for quite some time, it took me a long time to finally accept that challenge, but I didn't tell it to anyone until I registered and payed for the race. Otherwise I wouldn't do it.

But let's get back to the topic. So what about this Rolling through Russia? Yeah, Russia. Basically my plan is to hitchhike all the way to Poland, while visiting as many Jiu Jitsu or other grappling academies on the way as possible. Simple as that. On the way i'm also planning to visit western Mongolia. From Novosibirsk I want to go south through Altain mountains and reach city of Olgii in Mongolia. I hope I can make it but it all depends on time. I have only 30 days to leave Russia, so I am on a pretty tight schedule.



When it comes to transportation and accommodation I am basically planning not to spend any money on that. I have a tent and I'm going to use couchsurfing. When it comes to transportation, I am planning to hitchhike all the way. Of course many things may happen and I may modify my plans, but that's the basic concept. We will see what's gonna happen.



When it comes to Jiu Jitsu I would be happy with visiting at least 10 academies. I'm pretty sure it's doable and I think I would be satisfied with it. Let's hope I can make it.

I will do my best to report my progress on this blog as often as possible, but I can't promise anything. I don't have the computer with me, I have only phone which is not perfect when it comes to writing, so I'm slightly dependent on a situation.

Anyway wish me luck and injury-free journey.

And if you happen to live somewhere on my way and you read this post, please drop a comment and we may meet ;)






No comments:

Post a Comment