Jun 17, 2015

Buddha's bday plus rolling on a beach in Busan


 


On monday May 25th which was a free day a t the University because of Buddha's birthday, we decided to go to Busan to see all the celebrations at Samgwangsa temple, the same temple where we had the finnish line of our hitchhiking race.

Most of the people went there already on saturday, for some reasons I couldn't go so together with Arnout - the Dutch we decided to join them on monday morning. Of course we hitchhiked and arrived in Busan around 11.



We were on our way to meet the others on gwangali beach, when suddenly out of nowhere one guy asked me if that's a gi bag (I always carry my gi bag as a regular bag), so I said yes and explained that I train in Daegu. Then he pointed at a big tent or rather shelter on the beach and said - we have a mat here, wanna join? Without hesitation I said yes, sure I wanna roll.


We went to find other guys and then some people went to eat and I got to roll on a beach. I got to roll with some leg lock guy, a brown belt from what they told me, he tapped me few times with heel hook and toe hold, but rolling on a beach checked.




Soon after we went to Haeundae beach where we went for a swim. Beach wasn't crowded but there were some people. Obviously we were the only swimming, Koreans generally don't swim.




Some time later we went to the temple. We were lucky to get there in the evening because it looked amazing after dark. Everything was lightened up, there were dragons blowing fire, monks played their ritual music, it was really worth coming. The temple was super crowded though, but that's understandable, it was Buddha's birthday after all.


 
 

From the temple we went to the train station and got a train back home - too late to hitchhike - I mean it was probably doable, it's Korea, but it's not me who is gonna prove it doable ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment